Saturday, June 12, 2010

In Style Stamps Color Challenge

Happy Saturday, my card today is for the color challenge at In Style Stamps!  

Below is our color inspiration:
When I first saw the inspiration photo I thought, hmmmm, with the images I chose how can I make that work?  That's why it's called a challenge!  I had the images and the inspiration photo and time to let it roll around in my mind and the card above is the finished product of all that.  I've been told I think too much...

On to my project.  She's a digi stamp by In Style Stamps called Surfer Girl.  I colored her with Copic markers:
Background:  B91, B95
Sand:  E30, E31, E33
Hair:  YR23, YR31, Y18, Y000, YR14
Skin:  E0000, E000, E00, R02
Surf board:  R27, YR09, YR07, YR04, Y13, Y15, Y18
Sunglasses:  C0, C3, C6
Bikini & waves:  G20, G21, G24, G28

I started by coloring the surf board, I wanted to see if I could feather blend the red, orange and yellows together and I'm quite happy with the way it turned out!  After I colored the entire image I cut a mask so I could air brush a background.  My favorite part of making this card is the waves.  I noticed one of my Copic greens was labeled "Ocean Green", G28 and I thought perfect, the pen cap is as dark as that green tomato in the photo!

To make the waves I used a Papertrey Ink scalloped border die and Neenah Solar white card stock, keeping the part I'd usually throw away.  Next I ran it through the Cuttlebug swirls embossing folder, then used the air brush with G28, G24, G21 & G20 markers.  I really like being able to make my own papers!  The waves are attached to the card using foam tape on each layer.

Then all I needed to do was figure out the rest of the card.  Trying to keep it simple I found a sheet of orange Color Mates card stock in my stash and cut a strip to go opposite that bright surf board, matted everything in black and put it all together.  I added a Quickutz sun die and some Want2Scrap half pearls and SU Crystal Effects to the lenses of her sun glasses for a finishing touch. 

Be sure to check out the rest of the design team color inspiration at the In Style Stamps blog today!

More challenges for this card:
Just Us Girls - Going Digital
Crafty Catz - Embossing
Quirky Crafts - Girly Girl
Caardvarks - Embossing

19 comments:

Taylor said...

LOVE IT!!! You totally rocked this challenge out, Jan! her surfboard looks amazing :)

Robin McK said...

Hi Jan! Love what you've done with the challenge! So bright and fun, and I love the sun!

Laura said...

WOW!!!I love everything about this card!what a clever idea with the waves.

Crystal said...

Love the colour combo on this one & love how you coloured the surfboard! Love the sun embellishment :)

Kerry said...

Hi Jan,

Love how the surf board turned out!!! Very nice! Love it to pieces. :)

AKiteFlier said...

Oh this is SO fun and SO SUMMER! I grew up at the beach and this just makes me smile - I was not an avid surfer tho - got beaned by my board once - LOL Thanks for getting digi with JUGS this week. Well done!

Julia said...

What a great card. Love the colour combo so bright and summery and that image is brilliant. Thanks for joining in with Quirky Crafts Girly Girl challenge.

Carol L said...

This is wonderful! I love the waves you created and the great coloring. TFS the Copic colors you use for each element......I'm making notes for the future when (and if) my budget allows for those pricey markers!!

carol said...

What fab colours, your card looks fab too, thanks for joining in with Craftycatz, x carol

Karen Howard said...

Wow, this is awesome! I love how you feathered your colors and air brushed the backgroud. The waves turned out great!

Irena said...

Wonderful card, lovely color combo.

Lindsey said...

Oh wow! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this! Those colours are great and you have coloured the image to match perfectly, i really love the wave effect. Genius! Thank you so much for joining us at Crafty Catz this week xx

Aunty Sue said...

Great card thanks for joining us at crafty catz

Spyder said...

Lovely card,really bright, summery, fun and girlie! We're a little late sorting out this fortnights winner, but the new challenge 'Summer' has started!! Thank you for joining us with our Girlie girl challenge!!
(Lyn)

Andrea M said...

Oh so summer-y!!! This makes me want to go to the beach, like NOW :) What a great take on the challenge :) Thanks so for gettin' digi with Just Us Girls!!!

Angela said...

This is so cool Jan!! Love the waves and the sun you created, the embossing looks great!!!
So glad to have you on our team!!
Hugs:)
Angela

Janelle Stollfus said...

I love everything about this card, Jan! Super job. I'm glad to have you on the team too! :o)

Kathryn B said...

You really nailed this color challenge Jan! Great summer digi image too!

Thanks for getting digi with Just Us Girls this week!

Suzie said...

Lovely card, thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week. Suzie x