Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stair Step Challenge @ La La Land Crafts

It's challenge day over at La La Land Crafts and the challenge is Stair Step cards!  This is my third challenge with them as a design team member and I must say I have been challenged!  I've never made a stair step card before so I went to Splitcoaststampers to see if I could find a tutorial and they had a good one by Beate Johns that I followed.  Folding and scoring the card was pretty easy, then I had to decide what next...  oh ya, that took me a couple of days. 

I had La La and Rosie all colored and ready to set in there but it looked so...  empty!  My friend Ami was over for bible study last Thursday evening and saw my attempt on the table and said, "ah, what's that?!", lol.  So I told her about the dilemma I was having.  As we sat there and talked about other stuff it just kind of all came together.  There was this old bottle of sand and tiny sea shells behind Ami's head on a shelf that caught my eye and the rest is history.  Ami had to leave before I really got going but she said she wants to see the end result when she's over again.  

La La and Rosie are colored with Copic markers and cut out.  Rosie's dress and headband are paper pieced.  I had the waves in place when Ami was here.  They are made from a scallop border die made by Papertrey Ink, I used the part you usually throw away and put the pieces through the Cuttlebug Swirls  embossing folder.  To get the sand and sea shells to stick I used rows of Scor Tape.  When I tipped the bottle I got shells and sand all at once and really liked the accidental arrangement.  Next they needed a sky line so I cut a scrap of white cardstock to 5 1/2 x 4 1/4 and sponged Palette Seascape ink around a Cuttlebug cloud I'd cut from a die and kept moving around.  I thought it needed my little sunshine made with a Quickkutz die and yellow cardstock to finish the scene.  I'm happy with it, or at least I will be until I see what the other design team gals made!  
I'm happy to have it all made up, photographed and blogged about.  Would you believe Inky the cat had the audacity to step right in the middle of it?!  lol, have a good day!

More Fun Challenges:
Stampin' Bee's - Summer Vacation
All Sorts - Create A Scene
Secret Crafter - Water (would you look at those waves!)
Speedy The Cat's Friends - Use A Die Cut  
Ann's Crafty Nook - The Feeling Of Independence Day (we live "at the river")
By The Cute & Girly - Warm Summer Days 
Ohh la la Creations - Simply Summer 
Drunken Stampers - Summer / Vacation
Kaboodle Doodles - Celebrate Summer
 

22 comments:

jimlynn said...

FABULOUS!!!!!
Lynn

Cheryl Valadez said...

Love it, Jan! Your waves are awesome and so creative! Rosie and Lala looks fab on your beach setting!

Kristine said...

LOL - bad kitty, JUST KIDDING! Mine used to do that all the time when I had to take my pictures outside, but now have natural lights inside! YAY! =)

Your card is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Jan!! I just love that sand and seashells--they are so perfect with these beachy girl!! =) Great job with this challenge!

Alissa said...

That is one of the most inspirational and creative cards I have seen to date. I know that must have taken quite a bit of time. Thanks for sharing. Great, great job!

Eva said...

WOW...this is amazing with all the different textures....LOVE IT!!!

Tammy said...

This is adorable Jan!! I LOVE the sand and seashells!

Claudine Poch said...

This is wonderful. Great design, coloring, and details. Thanks for joining us at Speedy's Friends.

brenda said...

Hi Jan

Your card is adorable, so clever twiht the waves and shells, a really touch of fun at the beach.

Thank you for joining in my create a scene theme at Allsorts this week and good luck.

B x

Jill said...

What a super stairstep! Love the images and love the colours, well everything! Thanks for joining in Kaboodledoodles this week. Jill

Karen said...

What a terrific beach scene, and I am so loving all the little details! Fabulous!!!

Hugs,

Mummylade said...

such a wonderful scene! Thank you so much for entering the Allsorts challenge this week, good luck!

Laura said...

WOW!I love this.Great Job on the stair step card.I tried this one time and loved it.I need to make another one.there FUN!Although my coloring is not as perfect as yours.So I used stickers.You can find it here.http://sendajoyfulcard.blogspot.com/2010/01/stamps-r-us-challenge-2.html

Linda Ledbetter said...

This is summer perfection, and you Copic skills are fabulous! Thanks so much for joining the Drunken Stampers Summer Vacation challenge!

Benzi said...

Good job and I love those waves, shells, and sand, also. Sounds like a fun project even if you were worried in the beginning. Glad you joined the Stampin B's this week.

Anonymous said...

Such an adorable card! Thanks for playing along with this weeks Drunken Stamper challenge!

Irina Blount said...

This card totally worth all the time you spend designing it!!! Turned out GREAT!!!! LOVE all the details and how you combined Rosie and Lala on your card!! CUTE!!!!

Hugs!!
:) Irina

1LuvnMama said...

Beautiful Jan! Luv the whole beach scene with actual sand! I'm sure Lala and Rosie are having a blast at the beach! :)

Carrie said...

Great stair step card ... love the embossing on the waves and how you did the beach and shells.

Unknown said...

totally amazing, Jan! Love the beach scene! That's so cool with the sand! Awesome job!

Unknown said...

totally amazing, Jan! Love the beach scene! That's so cool with the sand! Awesome job!

Ann said...

Awesome Jan!! What better way to "feel" the Fourth is with being lazy on the river/beach!! Love your card and the sand. Thanks for playing along at the Nook this week!!

Hannapanna said...

Beautiful summery card. Cute images and gorgeous colours. Thanks for joining us over at By the Cute and Girly this month and good luck. Hugs Hanna