Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Copic Making Backgrounds/Papers



I took some time today to play with a new (to me) technique I've wanted to try.  I watched a video recently on how to do a bleaching technique with Copic Blending Solution, stamps, markers, air brush, etc.

The card above is my finished product, the Spellbinders Labels 14 is where I used this technique.  Instead of pulling out my air brush I used BG13 & BG15 markers.  I was in a hurry, I needed to clean up and fix dinner for my family.  It's a little streaked but I like the overall effect.


Here's a picture of the right way to do the technique.  Air brush with your markers BG13, BG18, BG72 onto a sheet of card stock.  Spritz your stamp with Copic Colorless Blender and stamp on the air brushed card stock.  I held my stamp down longer than I would have if I were using ink.  Be sure to clean off your stamp after each time you use it for a clean impression.  

One of the reasons I brought out my air brush system today is I was working on finishing my card and couldn't find a matching button to go on the tag I'd made.  Do you ever have that happen?  I used a small piece of foam tape to hold my button down to the paper I air brush on and sprayed it with several coats of BG13 and let it dry.  This works so much nicer than using a marker to color the button and dries much quicker too.  Another thing I tried today was using the BG13 marker to outline the edge of the Spellbinders tag, I went over it several times to make it darker.  I like the way it looks and think I'll try to remember to do this more often.

The stamps I used are actually rubber and acrylic stamps.  The dragon fly is by Stampendous, the flourish is by Kaiser Craft & the sentiment is from Papertrey Ink.  The dragon fly is colored with Copic markers BG13, BG15, BG18, BG23, V15, V17, T5, T3.  My layout was to accommodate the largest Spellbinders Labels 14 die, I also used a Spellbinders Oval and tag die.  The white panel is embossed with a Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder and I added straight lines in the center with my Scor-Pal.  

I hope you enjoyed my mini tutorial and are maybe inspired to try this Copic technique yourself.

We also have a new challenge starting today at Operation Write Home Stars & Stamps, our theme is "Create A Background".  I hope you'll join in and play along in our challenge there.

One last thing today-  I want to THANK YOU for visiting my blog.  I started my blog in May 2007 just for fun and am thrilled at how many visitors I have each day.  I'm getting close to 100,000 visitors and wrote my 1000th blog post yesterday.  So... thanks for visiting and leaving encouraging comments, it means a lot to me.

Challenges:

15 comments:

Holly Iossa (Homeschool Homestead) said...

Beautiful Card. Love the technique. So glad you blog. I am inspired by your creativity. And you are always so encouraging to others.

Carol L said...

What a gorgeous card, and your background is simply amazing! I LOVE the colors and embossing too! TFS the tutorial! An airbrush system is out of my budget, but this turned out beautifully without using it after all.

Donna Hanley said...

Jan, all around beautiful card. I love that technique and the butterfly is so very pretty with the colors you chose. You did a great job of outlining your tag. I also really like how you combines the dots and striped on this card. You'll be seeing that on some of my cards a lot in the future. Thanks for some great ideas.

NancyD said...

Welcome to the Digital Delights team Jan. Thanks for stoping by and becoming a follower - I have done likewise.

Wow! 1000 posts! I just started in Jan 2011 and having a great time.

NancyD

Dixie Cochran said...

This card has so many levels of awesomeness!!

Linda said...

Pretty, pretty! Love that dragonfly and your paper. TFS!!!

Drifty Wright said...

Such a pretty card! I love the soft colors and the background turned out awesome! The dragon fly is perfect with that sentiment. Thank You for sharing your techniques!

Cheryl L. said...

That background paper is gorgeous! Beautiful work...love the color and design!

Desert Rose Stamper said...

Jan --What a wonderful card and oh my goodness such wonderful techniques. Your cards are always wonderful and reflect your high level of expertise. I am also very happy you do your blog -- it inspires me makes to do more with my cards. I just started my blog earlier this year -- One day I hope to get mine to your level. Thanks again!

Sharon

Donna said...

Jan, Your card is beautiful! The dragonfly is just wonderful. Your work is perfection! TFS

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I have recently been looking for facts about this question for a while and yours is the best I have found so far.

Unknown said...

wow... this looks fab and amazing for your first try.. It looks too messy for me to try lol xx

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Jan
Thankyou for popping by and your lovely comment on my card,Welcome to Digital Delights cannot wait to see what creations you will do and get to know better
Hugs Dianne xx

Cathy P in AZ said...

I LOVE love LOVE this card, Jan! Congrats on your continued success with your blog - you are so talented that it doesn't surprise me! Your blog design is so fresh and clean - I haven't visited in a while! Miss you, friend! :)

Karen Howard said...

Wow, this is really stunning... the background and your card! Beautiful butterfly and perfect for this background! Hugs, Karen