Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Natural Homemade Deodorant

I'm making homemade deodorant today!

A friend of ours came over a few weeks ago with an essential oil blend of Tea Tree & Oregano oils and asked me if I'd make a deodorant for him.  How cool is that?!  He told me he really liked the smell of this essential oil blend and thought it would make a great deodorant and he knew I'd be the person to make it.  So you know I told him I'd do some research and I'd be happy to work on that for him!


I have all my supplies and recipe out to make the homemade deodorant.  My recipe came from Andrea at Frugally Sustainable, I made a couple of very small adjustments to it.


Melting the oils and beeswax together in a double boiler.


Adding dry ingredients to the melted oils.


Filling two new and one used thoroughly cleaned twist up tubes.
I apologize for the photo being so blurry, I didn't realize until I saw it here...


The finished packaged herbal deodorant!

The Recipe
3 tbsp. Cocoa Butter
3 tbsp Coconut Oil
3 tbsp Shea Butter
3 Tbsp Beeswax
7 1/2 tbsp Arrowroot Powder
3 tbsp Bentonite Clay
3/4 tsp Oregon Grape Root Powder
3 Probiotic Capsules, empty the powder from them into dry ingredients 
2/3 tsp Vitamin E Oil
45 drops of the essential oils of your choice

Directions
Melt cocoa & shea butters, coconut oil and beeswax in double boiler.  Remove from heat, add dry ingredients until you have a smooth mixture.  Add essential oils and Vitamin E Oil last.  Pour into clean twist up tubes, the deodorant will cool and harden.  The shelf life is about 3 months and it can be stored in your bathroom.  Use sparingly so you don't have oil stains on your clothing.  The color of this deodorant is not white like what you'll find at the store, the Bentonite Clay gives this a tan color and lots of added benefits you won't find in the store bought kind. 

Yeilds three 2 oz tubes

I added different essential oils for different benefits to each deodorant.  My daughter and friend like the smell of Tea Tree essential oil so that's what they got.  My husband is recovering from prostate cancer so the essential oils I used are to help boost his immune system and they smell good too.  I've been waiting for Petitgrain essential oil to arrive in my mailbox to add to my deodorant.  One of the wonders of Petitgrain essential oil is it helps alleviate excessive sweating.  We live in Arizona, I thought we'd have the perfect testing area for this!  

I hope you enjoyed my herbal deodorant project today, thanks for visiting my blog.

Link Parties



3 comments:

Donna Nuce said...

I never thought of making my own deoderant. Amazing!

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Once again you have come up with a really great, natural product! I've
thought about making my own deodorant for awhile, now I am inspired to try it! Do you happen to know the difference in using corn starch vs arrow root? And thanks for the info on petitgrain e.o. Yes, it is hot here in Az! Going to Phoenix tomorrow,wonder what it's going to be temp wise.....
best, Anna

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Thanks Anna! I don't know what the difference is between the Arrowroot and Cornstarch really is. Maybe we need a little research here =)

Have fun in Phoenix!