Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Handcrafted Essential Oil Face Lotion


I only have a little dab of my homemade face lotion left in the jar so I'm gathering supplies today to make a new batch, I hope you'll join me!

I thought I'd get a little more personal and give a some background information about myself today and why I make my own creams and lotions.

Our family moved to Arizona when I was 10 years old from Montana.  I'm now approaching 53 years old and my skin needs moisture, sometimes desperately.  Our climate here is hot and dry sometimes reaching high temperatures of 120+ degrees in the summer but with very low humidity.  Don't get me wrong about low humidity it's still hot, let's just say you won't be going out to check the mail box in your bare feet.   We also have very hard water in our town so the combination of climate and hard water are really a challenge for my families skin.  

About a year and a half ago I started making my own soaps, lotions and potions to see if I could get some relief from the dryness I was experiencing.  The store bought preparations just seemed to make things worse for me.  They were expensive, harsh and I felt like they made my skin even more dry.    Now that I've learned a little more about what goes into our store bought soaps and skin care products I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to using them.  


Enough talk, let's get started!  I measured out 1 1/2 ounces of unscented lotion base into a 2 oz. amber jar.  The reason I like amber jars is because essential oils need to be stored in dark containers preferably in a cool place to maintain their integrity.  


I've added all the essential oils and it's time to stir it all together.  Be sure to blend well, it takes a little time and effort but it's well worth it.  Did you know that German Chamomile is a royal blue color?  It changes the color of the lotion base ever so slightly.  


Here it is blended together, it smells heavenly!  I love the fragrance from this combination of  essential oils and it's as pure and natural as I could find.  For me, no fragrance oils or colors to be allergic to - yea!

I do make my own lotions and creams but did not for this face lotion.  I purchased a large quantity of unscented lotion base from Aromatics International for my Aromatherapy certification course and I really like it so I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.  Most of my essential oils are also from Aromatics International, they are high quality pure essential oils.  Each essential oil they sell is tested using a Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometer device to determine the precise chemical constituents of the essential oil and the data is available to everyone on their website.  I also added links to each essential oil in the recipe so you can buy them if you wish and/or read about their therapeutic properties.

Here's the recipe if you'd like to make your own Essential Oil Face Lotion

1.5 ounces unscented lotion base
2 drops Neroli - Citrus aurantium var. amara
2 drops Rose Absolute - Rose damascena
2 drops Jasmine Absolute - Jasminum grandiflorum
1 drop Geranium - Pelargonium roseum X asperum
1 drop Sandalwood - Santalum paniculatum
2 drops German Chamomile - Matricaria recutita
3 drops Roman Chamomile - Chamaemelum nobile
1 drop Sweet Fennel - Foeniculum vulgare
1 drop Carrot Seed - Daucus carota
2 drops Lemon - Citrus limon
2 drops Lavender - Lavandula angustifolia
3 drops Frankincense - Boswellia carterii

Blend together well, store in a cool dark place and enjoy -

Where do you buy all this stuff?

Aromatics International

If you're not into making your own I have this Essential Face Lotion available in my Etsy store Life Scents in the 1.5 oz size.  Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Link Parties:

Clever Chicks

Frugally Sustainable

Gingerly Made

Adorned From Above

igottacreate

No comments: