Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Homemade Baby Bottom Butter


I'm gathering supplies today to make a Baby Bottom Butter, it's main function is to heal and keep away diaper rash.  

You might remember I told you last week that I'm soon to be 53 years old and want to assure you I'm not having a baby but we are expecting our first grand baby!  I also have a couple of younger friends who are expecting so I'm working on some natural baby products to give as baby shower gifts.   


I love mason jars and thought they'd be perfect for this project so I have them in a pan of boiling water to sterilize, boil for 10 minutes, let them cool so you can touch them and they're good to go.  Maybe I should add you'll need to dry them before adding the Baby Bottom Butter.


Next I'm melting the oils and beeswax in a homemade double boiler using a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup.


After all the oils and beeswax have melted I wanted each jar to have an equal amount so I used my kitchen scale.  You can see in the photo they are starting to cool and will soon become solid.


It's time to add the gentle skin nourishing essential oils to the butters at a 1% dilution which would be no more than 15 drops total in each of my jars.  Baby skin is very sensitive so less is more with the essential oils.  I chose to use Lavender, Rosewood, German Chamomile and Helichrysum.


Can you see the German Chamomile essential oil?  It's a lovely royal blue color and smells wonderful!  In this photo I'm blending, blending, blending.  It takes a little work to get all the essential oils incorporated into the butters but it is so worth it - you'll have a nice finished product when the essential oils are all blended in.


Here it is!  Finished Baby Bottom Butter ready to give as a shower gift.

My recipe for the body butter came from Andrea Butje's Aromahead Blog and I used a few different ingredients because I didn't have everything her recipe called for.  Andrea is my instructor for the Aromatherapy Certification Course I'm taking online at Aromahead Institute.  

Here's my variation of the recipe:

1 oz. Beeswax
1 oz. Unrefined Cocoa Butter
1 oz. Palm Oil
2 oz. Fractionated Coconut Oil
1 oz. Baobab Oil
1 oz. Shea Butter

Remember to measure your ingredients on a kitchen scale and add your Shea Butter last to the melted oils and just stir it in.  Shea Butter can become grainy when over heated so I add it to my melted oils and just stir until it's incorporated.  

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and come back to see some of the other baby products I'll be working on.

Where do you buy this stuff?

The Bulk Herb Store
Aromatics International

 Thanks for visiting my blog today -

Linky Parties:







2 comments:

kare said...

What a Blessing you are to
these new babies being born.
Starting them off right:)

Thank You for doing this!

Blessings & Buzz'z
~k

Billie A said...

Congratulations on the soon to be grandbaby. I have grandbabies and in March my second great grandchild. Thanks for the tutorial on the baby bottom balm. Sure it will help for those times when needed and all natural. cant be any better.