Saturday, October 15, 2016

Kingman Turquoise - Boulder Turquoise Necklace Set


For this necklace I used Boulder Turquoise from the Kingman Mine.  It's more green in color but has some blues mixed in there too.  

I've read that turquoise that is blue has more copper in it and turquoise that is green has more iron in it.  I thought that was interesting!  Also over time some turquoise will turn green as it ages due to effects of oxidation, dehydration and exposure to the elements and products we use (lotions etc.). So turquoise once blue will sometimes end up green – that’s why you see more green turquoise in vintage pieces.  There are many internet sources where you can read and learn about turquoise.

“Also, within the same mining operation, sometimes within the same vein, both greens and blues will be found. The blue is the copper, and greens are molecules of zinc or iron.  My information came from Native American Jewelry Tips.
I also made a pair of matching earrings to go with my necklace.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

No comments: